May 26, 2017

What is Power Plate’s Acceleration Training?

Just over two years ago Power Plate began to call their new machines “Acceleration Trainers”.

Now they have trademarked the term “Acceleration Training” for exclusive use in their marketing around the world and especially in North America.

So What does Acceleration Training Mean?

Don’t be fooled by the semantics, Acceleration Training is just yet another term for Vibration Training. Since the market began to saturate with all kinds of VT models and Power Plate knock offs, the marketers at Power Plate knew they had to come up with at term that would separate them from  the rest of the pack.

That’s all it is, just a word, and the technology isn’t any different. If you read Power Plate’s press releases, they themselves, when using The Term “Acceleration Training” use parentheses with a.k.a Vibration Training inside them.

Although the overall industry accepted term is “Vibration Training”, marketers of other machines  have coined many other terms as well.

• Whole Body Vibration
  • Whole Body Vibration Training
  • Vibrating Exercise Machine
  • Vibrating Platform
  • Vibration Fitness Training
  • Vibration Plate Training
  • Bio-Oscillation Training

These are just a few of the many terms out there. So don’t be confused or fooled. Look at the machines specs and track record instead of getting allured by it’s fancy name.

Comments

1. John Weatherly says:

Informative article Ted. It appears the relationship (financial) between Power Plate and Athletes’ Performance(AP)may just be a marketing ploy to promote “acceleration training” on Power Plate in commercial gyms etc. to people. Is this correct? I have never been able to figure out how Power Plate can have people like Mark Verstegen (Chairman of Athletes’ Performance) on their Sports Medicine Advisory Board when Mark and AP are getting paid by Power Plate. It seems to be a big conflict of interest and misleading to the consumer. When there’s money involved, it seems people will do or say what a company (i.e., Power Plate) wants done or said.

2. John Weatherly says:

The Power Plate Advisory Board continues to shrink. It’s down to 8 now from when they were saying 11 a few months ago. Mark Verstegen is still on it. I’m still waiting to hear from Mark. To view the Power Plate Advisory Board, go to http://www.powerplate.com, select U.S., and go to Education at the top of the homepage. The Advisory Board is under the Education heading. First it was Dr. Steve Blair that dropped out and now (I am not sure who?) somebody else has disassociated themselves from Power Plate.

3. Hello again everybody. One general question. If a pivotal unit is listed with a 900 RPM maximum (roughly 15 hz) would that actually equal 30 hz because of the pivotal motion? Would this be sufficient to achieve the affect reached in experiments that talk about a more full range of benefits above 26-28 hz? Thanks guys.

Jordan

4. Jordan,
    15Hz is 15Hz, it is not doubled due to the pivotal motion.

5. John Weathery says:

One other thing to add about the Power Plate Advisory Board that I mentioned in the above June 30 post. A bird (reliable bird who’s a scientist) told me a few weeks ago that Dr. David Nieman does not run the Power Plate Research Center at Appalachian State. Dr. Jeff McBride is the one who actually runs it. But, Power Plate has Dr. Nieman listed on their Advisory Board – probably because Nieman has received $3 million in funding over his career and it sounds impressive. Thus, it seems deceiving that Power Plate has Nieman on the Advisory Board if McBride is actually the one who runs it. And I doubt if Nieman (or McBride) have ever communicated with Mark Verstegen (who’s also on the Power Plate Advisory Board). Still no response from Mr. Verstegen.

6. John Weatherly says:

One other thing, I’m quite sure Dr. Nieman is a doctor of public health (DPH) and not a PhD. Perhaps minor but you’d think Power Plate could at least list his doctoral degree correctly since he is on the Advisory Board. But, oh well, this is Power Plate so what do you expect from the dim bulb marketers that come up with this stuff?

7. John Weatherly says:

Google Dr. David Nieman and his information comes up saying he is a “doctor of public health” yet the idiots at Power Plate have him listed on their advisory board as a PhD.

8. John Weatherly says:

I got it straight from one of the horses mouths today about the Power Plate Research Center at Appalachian State. I spoke with Dr. Jeff McBride this morning. McBride said he was involved with “one” study on Power Plate and Dr. Nieman did “one” study on Power Plate. That’s it! They have no plans to do any more studies on Power Plate. Now, isn’t it unethical for Power Plate to have Dr. Nieman listed on their Advisory Board saying he runs the “Power Plate Research Center” at Appalachian State? It doesn’t even exist now and apparently never did amount to much. McBride said Power Plate gave them some funding. He also said companies like Power Plate make equipment and then come to researchers like him wanting “to prove” it works. You can read between the lines on that last comment.

I also asked McBride about vibration for the elderly. He didn’t see any benefit over normal strength training saying they can lift for a short duration of 15-20 min or so and see the same results.

Thus, it appears McBride is not very impressed with vibration after his one study on Power Plate. He did say it may have a slight 1-2% value as a warmup or neural potentiation for elite athletes but that was about it. He said you can get the same “warmup” effect running down the field a time or two and “why pay $10,000 for a vibration platform?

Dr. McBride is enjoyable to speak with. I was almost in tears and rolling on the floor with some of his comments. I had to cut the conversation short to get in my workout this am. A delight to speak with – Dr. Jeff McBride. He gives his straight opinions.

Since there’s no Power Plate Research Center at Appalachian State, maybe someone could get some studies done? You’d have to do a good job convincing McBride after his experiences with Power Plate. He thinks it’s “a fad.”

9. Good point John
    OK, at the risk of sounding blonde and female two attributes that I know don’t stand me in good stead…
    Why haven’t any studies been done on good machines? Yes I know that it would be too much for Vibra-train to front up – but any research company or hospital worth it’s salt will surely do research and work out the these are the best machines. I am genuinely at a loss why so many supposedly pioneering departments just dismiss without looking. I have a customer with a very rare progressive disease who has seen huge benefits from this and has improved in spite of the fact that he is set to decline. He attributes this to Vibration Training yet the hospital refuse to investigate. Naiive I know… but why do they do this?

10. John Weatherly says:

I don’t know Philippa. They would probably say it’s a placebo effect. What they fail to realize is even if it would be placebo it’s still helping. That and the fear of stepping out from amidst the skepticism of their peers. Look how long it took weight training to be accepted by the medical folks.

Money is a big issue. I spoke with another scientist this am. He said he thought Dr. Nieman may have agreed to let Power Plate use the words “Power Plate Research Center” at Appalachian State in order to get the funding in the first place. This same scientist has/is doing studies on Power Plate and said they were supposed to be getting some more money from Power Plate but have not heard anything for a while. It sounds like Power Plate is in financial trouble.

Somebody has to fund studies. One thing Dr. McBride mentioned in our talk yesterday was research on the manipulation of volume and intensity in periodized exercise programs. This is something I’ve been interested in for many years for athletes (along with the general public). And there isn’t much research on this. Why? Because you have to find somebody to fund it.

11. John Weatherly says:

Dr. Jim Peterson, now retired from the U.S. Army – who spent 20 years or more with the U.S. Army at West Point – once made a remark to me several years ago at a conference. Dr. Peterson said: “Twenty years in the army taught me there were a lot of people with anal retention.”

Some people are very arrogant. I do believe there are good people out there. You just have to find them.

12. Ok, so what are the good machines in the USA? I don’t really see any recommendations. Am I missing something?
    Thanks in advance!

13. Once again……plenty of anecdotal reports of quality machines throughout the world, but this site only supports those that have had their specs confirmed via engineering tests.

They are as follows:

Galileo (Vibraflex) – Pivotal
    Hypervibe – Pivotal
    VibroGym Professional – Lineal
    Power Plate Pro5 – Lineal
    Globus Physioplate Gold – Lineal
    DKNXG10 – Lineal
    VibroGym Evolution – Lineal
    Maxuvibe MX7 – Pivotal
    Freemotion Itonic
    WAVE

There are differences among these however, so it is important to elaborate on your goals and how you will be using the platform (personal, commercial etc.)

14. Which is the best value/machine for an at home unit. $2700 sounds exorbitant??

15. Hi Charlotte,

As we have said in the past, “you get what you pay for”. You can purchase cheaper platforms, but their performance and level of results will reflect the price. Remember, you need a well engineered platform to deliver the proper forces required for muscle stimulation. If you don’t have this, you cannot be guaranteed any of the research supported effects of Vibration Training. Only benefits will be “therapeutic” effects including circulation, massage, and possibly balance training.

$2700 is the lowest you can go for a personal training platform that can deliver.

16. Hi.. I read all this & get confused. I was at a fair this weekend & tried out what probably isn’t a good machine. It isn’t listed here as recommended. In looking around, I find a business nearby that sells Power Plate brand. I am looking at the Power Plate My3. Any thoughts?

17. Hi Mari. The only Powerplate that has been verified and the one that is used in the majority of the research is the Powerplate Pro5. This is a medium acceleration platform (as opposed to high acceleration) and part of their “commercial” line. The Pro5 is supported on this site, but has a hefty pricetag.

The My3 is one of their “home units” and it has not been verified nor used in any research supporting the PP. Given its size and pricetag, my assumption would be that it is a low acceleration platform. This means that it will be limited in delivering the more desireable effects of Vibration Training. Good for circulation, massage, flexibility, and perhaps balance.